The Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department acknowledged that the murder of rap icon Tupac Shakur in 1996 remains an “open homicide case”, according to reports.
In a statement, the agency said this:
“We are aware of the statements made in the BET interview regarding the Tupac case,” the statement reads. “As a result of those statements we have spent the last several months reviewing the case in its entirety. Various reports that an arrest warrant is about to be submitted are inaccurate. This case still remains an open homicide case.”
— Adam Herbets (@AdamHerbets) July 4, 2018
A man who said he was driving the car in which the fatal bullets were fired at ‘Pac has come forward with details about the long-unsolved, high profile murder of one of rap’s biggest names ever.
“People have been pursuing me for 20 years. I’m coming out now because I have cancer, and I have nothing else to lose,” Duane Keith Davis said of his decision to speak out on the BET show, Death Row Chronicles, which aired earlier this year. “All I care about now is the truth.”
Davis’ nephew, Orlando Brown, has long been considered a suspect in Pac’s murder and Davis has verified that Brown was in the car the night ‘Pac was killed, although he has not implicated Brown as the shooter.
Brown was himself killed in 1998.